Thursday, February 4, 2010

Alcatraz!!

While we were in California for Christmas Brian, my dad and I went into San Francisco and took a tour of Alcatraz. I have been there a few times before, but it was a first for my dad and for Brian. I'm not sure why, but I have a huge fascination with Alcatraz. I absolutely love taking the tour and hearing about all the crazy inmate stories and the escape attempts. My favorite story is of three men who escaped and they have yet to find them to this day! These guys escaped by digging a whole in the wall of their cell using a spoon they somehow stole from the dining hall! Crazy right?!?! It really is cool. I recommend taking the tour to anyone who visits San Francisco.



So this little room that my dad is standing in is a whole cell. You can see a tiny little toilet on the ground near my dad's feet.


Here is the cell funished as it was when there were actual inmates here. It is tiny! just barely enough space for the little cot, and tiny toilet and sink and a small table.


Another picture of the cells.


Arriving to Alcatraz.


To get to Alcatraz you have to take a boat from a San Francisco Pier over to the little island. Here's a picture of Alcatraz Island as we are arriving.


And here are a few pictures of the view as we were coming back to the Pier.






And here is a picture of Brian and I next to a ginormous Christmas tree in San Francisco, in this picture you only see about one tenth (or less) of the whole tree!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, my family totally went to San Fran too while we were home for Christmas! We even got pictures next to that huge Christmas tree! Maybe we were there at the same time... :) I haven't ever done the alcatraz tour, though--sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete